<$BlogRSDURL$>
Ankh Morpork's Finest Coder
Thursday, March 31, 2005

To Linux or not to Linux..
That WAS the question. I just finished downloading Red Hat Linux 10 (Fedora). There are 4 CD's (ISO image downloads) and 1 recovery CD.

My Plan:

- Install a dual WinXP & Fedora on my "powerful" machine.
- Install Windows Server 2003 on my pentium 2 machine for "server" purposes.

The Idea:

- To mess with Linux & get a feel for it.
- To use MONO (.Net for Linux) & get a feel for it.

Long Term Goals:

- The world seems to love Linux cause its "free". Is it really worth it?
- Maybe if the job market trend suddenly spurts to Linux, I might at least know a tincy bit.
- I might even try writing device drivers for Linux again (I wrote a PCI device driver a Loooonnnngggg time ago).

5 Comments:

Why not get Virtual PC and install Fedora into that? That way, you can save a baseline configuration and revert back to it when necessary.

By Blogger appwiz, at 9:59 PM  

You know, I actually thought to do that but I don't know how "fast" it would be. Have you done a Virtual PC install of Fedora?

By Blogger Sushant Bhatia, at 11:59 PM  

I didn't like Fedora and switched to Ubuntu. After I discovered the magic of apt-get, it became my one and only Linux distro. I was using FC1 and FC2.

Fedora/Ubuntu in Virtual PC feels like a 500MHz Pentium in windowed mode, and like a 1.5GHz Pentium in full screen mode. You can make it more or less performant based on the RAM you allocate to the virtual machine. I'm running Ubuntu with 184 MB RAM for the VPC and it works absolutely fine.

By Blogger appwiz, at 1:52 AM  

Sweet! I just checked out Ubuntu and it seems pretty cool. However, I'm just a newbie when it comes to linux. I have no idea what FC1 FC2 etc mean. Forgive my ignorance...windows has corrupted me :-)

I just installed Virtual PC but its getting late so I'll do the installations tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks mate!

By Blogger Sushant Bhatia, at 2:24 AM  

FC = Fedora Core
FC1 = Fedora Core 1
FC2 = Fedora Core 2
FC3 = Fedora Core 3
etc

By Blogger appwiz, at 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment